Monday, March 7, 2011

The Evergreen Life

I've been slow to hop aboard the blogger express. I find my life too dull to really "blog" about and my writing leaves something to be desired. Yet I've caught myself thinking as of late that though my life may seem bland and monotonous to me, not everyone knows what it's like to run a garbage company from the ground up. Thus I decided to document my life in the garbage biz.


Norristown, Pa. Greasy, dirty, ghetto-fabulous Norristown: Home to Evergreen Waste Solutions. My brother Adam and his business partner Dan chose this suburb just outside of Philadelphia to start up their trash hauling company.
I've often reflected on how sad it is that this part of the country, so rich in our nation's history, has become just plain sleazy. But it's defiantly got it's own flavor. The people are rough around the edges and always say what's on their mind. All of us from Utah are constantly taken aback by their bluntness, but they are essentially good-hearted people. All the buildings are old fashioned and would be cool-looking if they weren't so run down and grimy.
Our garbage yard, where we house all of our garbage trucks and cans and where my office is, is in a particularly ghetto part of town. We operate out of a tall, green industrial building. It fits all four of our garbage trucks and hundreds of our trash cans nicely and could easily fit more. Much to my chagrin, however, it has no bathroom. As I am cooped up in the office from 8am to 5pm every weekday, this often becomes a problem. The only bathroom at my disposal is down the street in another grungy industrial building run by a company called "Phoenix Recycled Plastics." During times of desperation, I find it necessary to run over to our neighbor's and use their bathroom. The owner, Mark, though he is a nice-enough guy, tends to mutter at me under his breath every time he catches me sneaking in and makes me feel rather more or less unwelcome.


If that wasn't enough, one day Brie was visiting me up in the office and decided she couldn't wait till she got home to use the restroom. She ventured over to Mark's. On her way down the street she ran into "Steady Eddy," who runs "Affordable Container Service" farther down the street. Steady Eddy, dubbed so by Adam and Dan, is a classic Philadelphian. Seeing Brie, he shouted to her, "What are you doing??!"
"I'm just going to the bathroom. Our building doesn't have one yet."
"Don't you know these streets are filled with ex-cons?? You can't walk through here alone! It's dangerous!"


There you have it. I've done the math and I figure that in the 200ft it takes me to get the restroom I have a 70% chance of being either mugged, raped, or murdered. And if I make it that far unscathed, it's only to be muttered at by Mark....so most of the time I just hold it.

So there is a little taste of the Norristown, garbage life. More to come!









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Karin! That is so funny, and so dreadful at the same time! I'm seriously laughing out loud. But on the other hand, if you were accosted by an ex-con, I would be horrified, and I would never forgive Adam for letting you be in that situation, never! BTW, Ethan asked me again yesterday if we can buy him the How to Train Your Dragon weapons, and I was like, "Um.. Someday.." :)

Nancy said...

OH for crying out loud. Adam can't possibly expect to keep the services of any competent young garbage collection office lasy if he won't flip the bill for a bathroom to be installed at the place where you spend eight hours of your day! Please take a can of mace with you when you head to Mark's toilet - either to use on ex-cons or on Mark should his muttering get to bothersome. Love yoU!

Nancy said...

OH for heaven's sake. I just said, "office lasy" when I meant "office LADY." You are far from lazy and certainly VERY FAR from lasy. Lacy, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Karin, if you become my live-in nanny I can offer you a perfectly good, albeit very untidy, bathroom that will be only about 2 feet away from you at any time you should wish to use. And there will be no possible ex-cons along your path, only the very real danger that one of my minions might throw the door open on you if you forget to lock it. And if it makes you feel more at home, I'm sure I could do some muttering each time you go. :)

Perla said...

dear karin, i am soo looking forward to learning more about norristown and the garbage biz through your spectacularly beautiful eyes. more!